– For he was the latest result in machine intelligence. The HAL-9000 computer which can reproduce... though some experts still prefer to use the word "mimic"... most of the activities of the human brain and with incalculably greater speed... and reliability. We next spoke with the HAL-9000 computer... whom, we learned, one addresses as Hal. Hal, you have an enormous responsibility on this mission. In many ways, perhaps the greatest responsibility... of any single mission element. You are the brain and central nervous system of the ship. Your responsibilities include watching over the men in hibernation. Does this ever cause you any lack of confidence?
– Let me put it this way, Mr. Amer. The 9000 Series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all by any practical definition of the words... fool proof and incapable of error.
– Hal, despite your enormous intellect, are you ever frustrated... by your dependence on people to carry out actions?
– Not in the slightest bit. I enjoy working with people. I have a stimulating relationship with Dr. Poole and Dr. Bowman. My mission responsibilities range over the entire operation of the ship... so I am constantly occupied. I am putting myself to the fullest possible use... which is all, I think, that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
– Dr. Poole, what's it like living for the better part of a year... in such close proximity with Hal?
– It's pretty close...